Friday, August 4, 2017

Mini Movie Reviews: Bulk Hit No 52

The Hunt for the Wilderpeople
Haki and I laughed a lot.  I wish more kiwi movies were like this one.  Loved.
Waking Ned Devine
Haki gave this 30 minutes...but said that was enough.  I found it very amusing.  Haki said it reminded him of a play we saw to support a friend who was acting in it (The Vicar of Dibley), but for me it was more like an Irish Napoleon Dynamite.  I don't think it helped matters for Haki that he couldn't follow half of the dialogue (Irish accents are as good as another language to him, at times).  The film came very highly recommended by a friend, so I watched the rest on my own another night, and I'm glad I did.  It's a treat. 
Nerve
Predictable but effective cautionary tale. I like the script a lot. Wouldn't be thrilled with my kids following the course the heroine takes...but both Haki and I were highly entertained by this one. 
So, so disappointing.  The trailer and opening sequence were so promising!  Did not enjoy.
Better than I thought it would be. 
Okay, I was surprisingly into the love story.  But yeah na, it's not great.  Haki tapped out (yeah, it was tapped in for the zombies).
Europa Report 
I think this movie did great things with a small budget.  If you're not into space movies, this isn't going to convert you.
Arrival (2016)
This is the best of this list (closely followed by Hunt for the Wilderpeople and everything else is a good few tiers down). Haki and I were both impressed.  A slower mover, but worth it for its near-spiritual profundity.
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World
Love the premise, but...this isn't a a great movie.  Because I like Carrell more than I am irritated by Knightly I did watch it to the end.  Of the world.

David and Goliath (2015)

Terrible. So so bad.  No amount of Sunday-mercy could make this okay. 
Um...fun. 
Sweary.  But interesting.  Okay overall.
Being prepared for awful it was actually fun.  That cast!  Wooh! The final third has some real doozies as far as moments go, but as a fairytale it was quite fun.  Very derivative, but of things worth being derivative of?  Ha!  That' something!
Overall I found this okay.  The chariot race was fittingly brutal and rivetting, but a lot of places I winced at things I found weak. I found the watered-down Christ particularly blah.
Heaven Is RealThis was a good Sunday-watch for me.  Sunday rules of generosity applied.
Treasure Planet
I like that this is so different, but it ran a massive loss for a reason.  It's just okay.  Bummer.
Meh.  There are some fun scenes, but it's so annoying too.  It's morally disappointing and I wasn't at all into the sensual scene.  It is lame on and off and then just lame.  I disagree with the general consensus on this one; I'd rate it firmly below average, not above.
La La Land
I hoped for more.  It was very fun to watch but also a sadder story than I was prepared for.  I get it though, it's definitely about La La Land not Fairytale land.
It's okay.
A Warrior's Tale a.k.a. Hero Quest
Doesn't that thumbnail look amazing?  Watch 10 minutes of this on your own before you flick it on for your kids, is all I'll say. I'm glad I did.  It's not for us at. all.  Disappoint.
The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby
I think Jessica Chastain is really intriguing...but this movie isn't pleasant.  Lots of mature content and overall...sad.  I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about it.  Definitely not a "me" movie.
Related Posts with Thumbnails